Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It’s Up to You

 “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him.”
Revelation 3:20 KJV

Perhaps you’ve seen Holman Hunt’s painting of Jesus. Stone archway…ivy-covered bricks…Jesus standing before a heavy wooden door.

It was in a Bible I often held as a young boy. Beneath the painting were the words, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him.”

Years later I read about a surprise in the painting. Holmann Hunt had intentionally left out something that only the most careful eye would note as missing. I had not noticed it. When I was told about it I went back and looked. Sure enough, it wasn’t there. There was no doorknob on the door. It could be opened only from the inside…

God come to your house, steps up to the door, and knocks. But it’s up to you to let him in.

Thought I would post the entire write up from Max...good stuff.  It's so true.  People say they don't believe in God because He hasn't done anything for them in their lives...but it's simple, he's waiting for the invitation to come in.  He's still there and there is so much evidence of this but we need to open up and let him in and let him take over our lives...it's not a one way street.  We don't just say ya okay God exists and then good things will start to happen for us.  We need to let him in and accept his grace.  Once we do that, we can be happy knowing we have his grace and we can always turn to him for help.  Of course this doesn't mean our lives will be better.  As Christians, we should expect things to go bad, to face turmoil and hard times.  The difference is where we turn when we face them!

No comments: